Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What to do with Varitek?


So I was just on my lunch break and was listening to some WEEI while enjoying my food and they deep in conversation on what to do with Jason Varitek. Is he over rated is he underrated and so on. I myself know exactly how I feel about the situation. One of my first Tek moments was at a game against the Yanks in Boston where Tek went 4 for 4 with two homers. From that day on he has always been one of my favorite players on the Sox. His intensity and work ethic are unmatched, and it is impressive to see a team that is usually filled with a few Superstars respect him the way that he does. Sure he can handle the pitching staff, but we can't overlook the struggles at the plate this year. Sure he had some off the field issues this year but he also isn't getting any younger. I agree with the Sox and think that they're handling the situation perfectly. By offering Tek arbitration it forces any team that signs him to give up a draft pick. The guys we have had behind the plate have been doing a fairly solid job. In fact there isn't that much difference between his Catching ERA and the others behind the plate from time to time. Cash seems like he could to the trick but I think they would still want to have a solid veteran in house with him. The fact the Tek can handle the staff isn't the most important issue, and there are a few guys available with at least average defensive skills with a bit more pop at the plate. With the guys the Sox have been bringing into man the bump there shouldn't be to much concern on handling the staff. I think the big names like Beckett, Dice-K can handle it, Wakefield has at least a light-year of experience and Lester is a stud might even be the new Ace. I know the Sox will do the right thing, if they bring Tek back it will be on their terms, and if wants to cash in he'll need to take a one year deal and prove he can turn it around at the plate. But in this day in age with no salary cap I guess you should never say never, there always be that one idiot looking to over pay for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment