Monday, December 15, 2008


So here it is day 4 after the great Ice Storm of '08 and I still have no power. The humor of the situation has now worn off. Being that every possible place with in a 5 square mile radius of my house has power and I still do not. Friday night when this all started I thought this would be kind of fun, like camping out. That was sort of the case and with temperatures dipping in to the single digits the next day there was no way I was staying at home. Felt bad even leaving the cats there so I loaded them into the car to bring them to my mom's. With no cat carrier this can be a pretty daunting task. The younger of the two took an unexpected tinkle on my girl friend while the other proceeded to do a deuce in the back seat of her car. After that the four of us were on our way for a very crowded night sleep at my mom's apartment. Some how she was in a cluster of people that kept power through the whole or deal. Sunday we woke and my girlfriend need to head to work for a few hours to see what could be salvaged there after two days with no power. I had her take me to the house on the way to check the status of the electricity as well as to grab some work clothes. I really didn't expect to see the power on and to no surprise the power was still out, but to my surprise all my fish as well as Larry (a fresh water lobster) were all dead... Well maybe not, the power is still out and I'm very optimistic that they might just be in a hibernation state.... Wish full thinking I guess. So here it is Monday afternoon and I decided to run home on lunch and see if the power might be on now and as expected, no power. I did however run in to a neighbor as well as the park manager for where I live and the word that they have gotten from the CMP is that, well there is no word and they don't know when will be fixed. If the News is anywhere close to being accurate with this one, it's probably going to be a few more days. It's amazing how much we take advantage the luxury of being able to turn a light on, or turn the thermostat up a bit to warm up on a cold night and how could I forget TV, man do I miss it! Either way I guess I should be grateful lots of people are far worse then I am. I at least can go to my mom's or a few of my friends places that are on. If I learn one thing from this whole situation it will be to set a side some extra money to buy a generator this summer, so this doesn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment